Last Updated on
The content of the article
- What role do the latissimus dorsi muscles play in shaping the male silhouette?
- Features the formation of wings at home
- Lats workout on the horizontal bar
- Lats workout with dumbbells.
When it comes to inflating the wings, this refers to the latissimus dorsi or musculus latissimus dorsi – the superficial muscles of the lower back. Thanks to them, the forearm rotates in the elbow joint, palm down with the thumb inward. This skill came to us from primitive ancestors who moved with the help of their forelimbs. With the help of the broadest muscles of the back, an ancient man could move with the help of his hands, clutching at branches. Also, the “wings” are involved in the process of breathing, lifting the lower ribs upward when inhaling.
What role do lat muscles play in shaping the male silhouette?
Guys with a thin physique suffer from the straight, like a stick, figures, when from hips to shoulders there is one vertical line without any special contrasts. But it is precisely the wings or the broadest muscles of the back that allow you to expand the body, make it more powerful and strong. The back and shoulders of the holder of developed wings will be wide and impressive. Typically, such figures are found in swimmers, athletes involved in rowing or tennis. With the help of the broadest muscles of the back, you can create the effect of a triangular torso and give the figure masculinity and significance.
Features of the lat workouts at home
The latissimus dorsi muscles are hard to bulk, especially if you have not previously done sports. The results will appear only when during the month three times a week to do the whole range of exercises for the wings. In addition, to give the figure proportionality, one should not forget about the leg muscles and arms, so that against the background of a swollen back, they do not look comical. In the process of pumping the broadest muscles of the back, a beautiful chest is formed, and other back muscles are also strengthened.
The simplest exercise for wings is the classic push-ups. But not from the floor, but from stools. Assistive devices will help increase the load and make the exercise more effective. You will need two stools or two chairs.
- Place the stools apart from each other so that your torso fits between them.
- Place your left palm forward with your fingers on the left stool, and the right palm on the right stool.
- Place your feet on a sofa or bed. Any elevation is suitable, but it should be borne in mind that for beginners, the legs should not be above the head. This position significantly increases the load, and this can lead to injury to the joint of the arm.
- Place your palms a little wider than your shoulders. Slowly lower the torso so that the chest is below the palms placed.
- For starters, do three sets of 10 push-ups. When it will be easy to perform, increase the number to 15, and then 20 lowering the torso.
Do such push-ups three times a week for 1-1.5 months as a warm-up before working with dumbbells or pull-ups on the horizontal bar.
Latissimus Dorsi Exercises With A Pull-Up Bar
In order for the latissimus dorsi muscles to begin to work, it is necessary to work for resistance. Pull something heavy towards you, and the wings will receive the necessary load. In our case, we do not have a top block, so we will not have to pull weights towards ourselves, but use our weight as a weighting agent. A regular home horizontal bar will help us with this.
- Biceps will also be involved in this exercise. Grasp the bar with a wide grip, palms away from you.
- Stretch your chest to the crossbar, try not to bend in the lower back. Keep your tailbone looking down.
- Bring the shoulder blades together, feel the tension of the back muscles.
- Straighten your arms gently and take your starting position. Do not drop the body, control the lowering process. To prevent the body from swinging, cross your legs together.
If you have mastered this exercise well, add another isolation exercise at the end. First, learn how to perform pull-ups in a quality manner. As soon as possible, increase the number of repetitions. First, do 3 sets of 5-7 repetitions, increasing the number in a month to 5 sets of 15-20 repetitions (if you can). The main thing in pulling up on the horizontal bar is quality performance. Do not sway, do not put your palms with your fingers on yourself (so half the load goes to the biceps), do not bend the lower back.
The following exercise will help to work out all the muscles of the back, but it is better to perform it outside.
- Hang on the horizontal bar, swinging your legs slightly.
- Swing the hull in one fell swoop of both legs.
- Try the first time with a sweep of your legs to get your hands on the horizontal bar, as gymnasts do.
Athletes can immediately become upside down, but our task is to pump back muscles. Therefore, balancing is not necessary, just stand on the bar on outstretched arms.
Latissimus Dorsi Workout With Dumbbells.
When training the broadest muscles of the back, do not forget about the remaining muscle groups, trapezius, pectoral, etc. To increase the volume of wings, use barbells with a large weight. When the wings reach impressive size, reorient the workout. Reduce weight, but increase the number of repetitions.
- Take two 12-14 kg dumbbells.
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart, slightly bending them at the knees.
- Lower your arms with dumbbells along your body.
- Do not strain your back, keep it slightly semicircular.
- For two counts, pull your arms with dumbbells to your stomach, moving your elbows back.
- For four counts, gently lower your hands with dumbbells to their original position.
This exercise is somewhat similar to deadlift, only performed with dumbbells. Keep your knees slightly bent. If you straighten your legs, then the entire load automatically goes to the back of the thigh. But we do not need this.
The next exercise is performed using a support, chairs or bed. The support should not be soft, it is better to take two stools.
- Stand with your left knee on a stool, and place your left palm on another standing stool.
- The right leg is on the floor, in the right hand is a dumbbell. The back is parallel to the floor.
- Leaning with your left hand and foot, for two counts, raise your hand with a dumbbell up.
- As soon as a hand with a dumbbell from shoulder to elbow is fixed parallel to the floor, hold it for a few seconds.
- Lock the elbow of the right hand at one level, do not swing it. For four counts, gently lower your hand down.
Repeat this exercise 3-4 times for 15-20 repetitions. When raising your hand with a dumbbell, tighten your shoulder blade. You will feel how the latissimus dorsi muscles work. The exercise achieves the greatest effect when using weights, but for great weight should be taken only in case of good physical preparation.
There is another great exercise that you can do at home using stools as a bench.
- Place two stools together. Lie on their belly in such a way that your body is well supported, and that your arms rise and fall freely.
- Lift your legs off the floor, keep your body straight, as in a ruler. Pick up two dumbbells weighing 6-8 kg. Slowly raise your hands through the sides.
- As soon as the hands with dumbbells rise to the level of the body, hold out for 2-3 seconds.
- Blades bring together. Then slowly lower your hands, but do not drop them, keep them in suspense.
Exercise works well on the lower back, loading the wings.
It is easier to pump wings in the gym, where there is a top block and a bar with plates for deadlift. But at home, you can also work out the broadest back muscles. But the results will not be noticeable so quickly. Follow these rules to see the first results in 1-1.5 months:
- Many exercises on the latissimus dorsi muscles include other muscle groups in the work, and you can not do without it. Try to isolate the biceps or trapezius muscle of the back, observing the technique of the exercise.
- Start working with light weight, build it up gradually so as not to damage the ligaments and joints.
- Before starting a workout, do not forget about warming up the muscles. If there is a punching bag, you can beat it a little. The main thing is not to start classes without preparation.
- Also do not forget about stretching. Hang on the horizontal bar, spin on it.
- As weights, you can use a special vest or weighting on your legs, if you perform pull-ups on the horizontal bar.